I’m a writer, but I’m going to keep this as simple and as short as possible.
1. The countries on today’s Muslim Ban list have combined to kill zero Americans on U.S. soil in acts of terrorism from 1975-2015
2. The countries left off the ban (Turkey, Egypt, Saudia Arabia, United Arab Emirates, Azerbaijan) are all countries in which Donald Trump has business ties (source: Bloomberg)
3. Terrorist attacks on U.S. soil from this region in the last two decades have all come from these countries: Egypt, Saudia Arabia, United Arab Emirates, and Pakistan (source: NPR). That’s not to imply that the ban should be larger, but to insist: this was not about preventing terrorist attacks on U.S. soil.
4. Not only are refugees being refused, people with legal status (green cards) are being turned away and detained at airports. Even those with dual citizenship that includes those countries are not being allowed onto U.S. soil, in some cases despite having lived here for decades, and having families.
5 This goes beyond partisan bickering and into the very nature of what our country is. This flies in the face of decency, liberty, and everything my faith tells me to stand for. Therefore,
6. I am going to DFW’s terminal D (international terminal) as soon as I finish writing this, and I will bring with me paper and pens for anyone who joins me to write letters, both to those being detained at the airport, and to our President, Congress, and Senate. For the latter three, I will mail them for you, just bring a letter and give it to me.
We can post on Facebook all we want, but unless we are willing to put action to our words, they are meaningless.
p.s. if you are not in the DFW area, you can still help me buy paper, pens, and a burner phone to bring with me to allow people to call our congressmen. I’m on Venmo at @leviaweaver and Paypal is firstname.lastname@example.org
I will post receipts for all purchases here, and any additional money after supplies will be donated to Refugee Services of Texas.
UPDATE: Not only was the weekend a beautiful and inspiring experience that reaffirmed my belief in America and its people, you guys raised over $1,000! Here is the first receipt, and the second will be posted when the money clears from Venmo.